5 January 2019
In 1895 a fort was constructed at Lei Yue Mun overlooking the eastern approach to Victoria Harbour. In 1898, the 89th Company of the Royal Garrison Artillery began to build a battery next to the fort to house two six-inch breech-loading Mark VI guns. Construction of the battery was completed in 1905. Only three years after construction the battery was considered surplus to requirements and the two guns were removed.
In the 1920s two anti-aircraft 3-inch guns were installed.
On 18 December 1941 Japanese troops landed on Hong Kong island and within 30 minutes they reached Sai Wan Battery. The attack resulted in six gunners being killed, 20 taken prisoner and 30 escaped. The Japanese continued to attack the next day, murdering captives and paramedics at a first aid post at Salesian Mission on Chai Wan Road.
After World War II Sai Wan Battery continued to be used, it housed four 3.7-inch anti-aircraft guns, two on the emplacements where the 3-inch guns where sited.
Sai Wan Battery was handed over to the Hong Kong Government in 1987.