Abandoned Match Factory

The Great China Match Factory on Peng Chau

20 August 2017

Established in 1939 by a Shanghai industrialist, Mr Liu Hongs heng, who came to Hong Kong in 1938. Due to trade restrictions imposed by other countries the match making industry in Hong Kong declined and the Peng Chau factory eventually closed down around 1981. The site has been used as a workshop at some point since but the original buildings are mostly gone, the site is overgrown and the huts are full of junk.